SOC344 2018 Tut5 – Mon 14.30pm

We all know what its like to feel the wrong thing at the wrong time. Boredom when you’re meant to be interested (or at least look interested) in that lecture, anxiety when you’re meant to be happy with friends, tiredness when you’re playing with children, and frustration and stress at work. We all know what it means to feel the wrong thing, and then have to pretend – or display – a different feeling, or even somehow make ourselves feel something altogether different. We call this ‘emotion management.’

But how do we manage our emotions? When should we manage them? Should we always try to think happy thoughts – is sadness just bad and troublesome? Or are there social rules about how and when we should do this? Arlie Hochschild suggests that society has ‘feeling rules’ about how we are allowed to feel in given situations – particularly at work – and that these rules impact differently on men and women, with women still doing the bulk of the ‘emotional labour’ involved in care jobs in most countries.

Do you manage your emotions most of the time at work? Or in other areas of life? Does your gender affect this?

#S344UOW18 #Tut5 #Mon1430

Posted in SOC327 - Emotions Bodies and Society, UOW.

6 Comments on SOC344 2018 Tut5 – Mon 14.30pm

Daniel Izatt said : Guest Report 7 months ago

The emotional management is rather a real things we all have to at least attempt to manage ones emotions particularly when working or out in group situations. Emotional management particularly practised in workplaces with the idea of maintaining a level of professionalism towards colleges, in jobs such as retail in which I work emotional management is very important when dealing with customers especially those who have poor attitudes towards staff members and some times in the team environment I work in particularly emotional management is important especially when dealing with team members who I might not like that much or do things not only annoy me but the rest of the team in the process with their behaviour, emotional management plays an important role in dealing with these individuals. #S344UOW18 #Tut5 #Mon1430

Liam Marsh said : Guest Report 7 months ago

Emotion management and control has become a large part of society today, especially when it comes to social and professional settings. We are expected to behave in certain ways depending on the situation. For example in environment I work in, we are expected to make every guests experience a happy, fun and enjoyable time. This can be difficult when you have people who listen to and then ignore basic safety instructions. However you are not allowed to take your frustration out on those guests. Another example would be that if you are going to a party, socially it would be unacceptable to be in a sad state, crying and telling everyone how bad life is when someone else is trying to celebrate turning 21. I believe there is also a gender element to managing emotions, it is still a commonly held stereotype that boys/men don't hang out to talk about emotions, Whereas it is expected that women have 'girl time' to have coffee with their friends and talk about feelings. I think there will always be situations throughout life where we have to manage our emotions, in work and other situations it can be essential. However we are moving as a society towards a point where it is accepted that people need to express there feelings and that emotional management can become dangerous if someone isn't given the chance to express how they feel.

Ka Chun Kevin Ho said : Guest Report 7 months ago

In my perspective, it is really hard to manage my emotion most of the at work as I'm working as a Vodafone sales representative. In fact, working for different jobs title and in various workplace would be different cases. I guess Emotion Labour applies on my circumstance. I have to deal with minimum 50 customers a day which makes me busy and also stressful. In terms of happy emotion, we always have to present as we are happy and pleased in front of customers which is actually trying to think happy thoughts. Additional, I do think that gender is an issue in regarding to the management of emotions. although both gender have some possiblity to deal with good or troubesome customers, seems women have the advantage to manage their emotion at work. For instance, Husso and Hirvonen (2012) claims that Women are more likely to have to balance contradictions between providing emotional care work and efficient task performance. Thus, I do think gender does affect the management of emotion at work place.

Rachel Fatimawoods said : Guest Report 8 months ago

In everyday life, our emotions seem to be altered and filtered regarding our situation and location. Hochschild (1979) refers to society signifying to emotions to be justifiable, which can be controlled by one’s self. Although the existence of emotions is that they can be controlled in the way they are expressed, thus they can be managed in the way they are expressed and seen from the external view (Goffmans concept of acting). During work places, many individuals feel conflicted to express their real feelings and emotions regularly due to what is seen as appropriate or not in a work environment. Society also plays a significant role in the behaviours we portray in public environments. As it can be seen to be inconsiderate to others and rude if an individual was to act out in a way of expressing their emotions. Furthermore, I believe that society portals women to be more emotional than men however this is slowly changing over time but still evident today. #mon1430 #tut5 #SOC344UOW18

Jewel Schwarz said : Guest Report 8 months ago

In most job’s your emotions are meant to be filtered. There are a limited set of emotions acceptable in the work place. For me personally I work in retail so there is a lot of managing of emotions. When you come in to work you are meant to leave all of your personal issues at the door, put a smile on and worry about your customer service. This is literally what you are taught to do, it doesn’t matter your personal emotions and when dealing with difficult customers you are told to mask emotions and be helpful. I think this relates to Goffman’s idea that we are all actors, playing the role of ourselves through life, when at work we have a specific side to ourselves we are meant to present and act out. These are the ‘social rules’ of the workforce, and I would argue this is more so true for women. Personally, time and time again I have been told you need to smile more while at work and never once have heard that said to my male co-workers. I think this can be applied to all areas of life, in society emotions are very gendered. In society, there are emotions thought to be more expressed by women and visa-versa and I would even say that the emotional response process differs among gender as well. A good example of this is seen in the response modulation, women are taught to be caring and compassionate, so often times women will react as such not because that is how they feel but that is the appropriate response they have been shown. #mon1430 #tut5 #SOC344UOW18

Danielle East said : Guest Report 8 months ago

Workplace environment is considered to be a professional one for most people, therefore a persona is created a work close to our own but our opinions and feelings are reserved for what we feel are appropriate and what is deemed appropriate. The management of emotions is practised every day to go along with our days and not be over stimulated by situations and know how to control how we feel to act what is deemed appropriate by society, ie. not screaming at people when they take a car spot in the shopping center, rather taking a deep breath and moving along, while still feeling mad the emotion is contained and the situation accepted as unchangeable. I do believe gender effects the management of emotions to a certain point, I feel that woman are more encouraged to express their emotions while also supporting others through their emotions. While men are less likely to express their harder emotions (sadness, struggling etc) due to the unknowing nature of support and reaction they would commonly receive, also from different gendered co-workers, men and women would respond to a man’s emotions but also offer different kinds of support which is a positive. I don’t think that always thinking happy thoughts is a good way to manage emotions as we would not deal with how we are feeling properly and not be able to connect with what we need. Social rules do depict that it is not appropriate to have an emotional outbreak in public and that we should be polite and respectful to others around us, but also we need to be aware of when to check in with ourselves and our emotions to be able to manage them properly and fix where we know there are problems. #mon1430 #tut5 #SOC344UOW18